Saturday, November 8, 2008

Defending Sarah Palin

Well, more political stuff from me. Hopefully this will be the last political stuff for a while...at least until after the inauguration. I'm not sure how this is going to come across, or how rambling this is going to get. So, here goes.

I'm sick and tired of those in the McCain campaign and the media who are trying to blame Sarah Palin for the election loss. Let's look at the statistics. In a recent Rasmussen study, 69% of Republican voters said that Sarah Palin helped the ticket. Additionally 91% of Republicans view Governor Palin favorably, and 65% view her very favorably. A further 64% list Palin as one of the top contenders for the nomination in 2012.

She did what she was supposed to do...she solidified the base. In fact, the most fired up I got was after her speech at the convention. When I asked my mom who she was voting for, she told me she was voting for Sarah Palin.

Is Governor Palin rough around the edges? Yes! Did she look bad in the Katie Couric interview? Yes! (But, as Glenn Beck said this week, that was a 2 hour interview, and Couric cut it down to those 6 minutes, so a little media bias there). Was she ready to be President on day one? No! But in my opinion neither is Obama. Both Obama and Palin have similar experience levels, however, no major media outlet would dare question the anointed one's experience. At least Palin has executive experience as the Governor of Alaska. Oh wait, I forgot, Obama ran his campaign, and that qualifies him to be President.

But I digress...John McCain is to blame for this loss. If he and his inner circle didn't like Sarah Palin, why did they pick her? That's McCain's fault, not Gov. Palin's. So, to the McCain campaign...stop trying to blame Governor Palin for this. Look at yourselves...look at the candidate. It's the top of the ticket that matters, and in the end, McCain didn't do enough to differentiate himself from Obama.

Here's hoping that in 2012 we get a Republican candidate that can draw a true distinction between himself (or herself...Palin) and Obama. A candidate that gets back the fundamentals of small government and personal responsibility. If that doesn't happen, the Republicans are doomed to defeat again in 2012.

I'll amend that a little...the Republicans have a shot in 2012 if Obama really botches this as badly as I expect him to. I truly hope I'm wrong about all my inner predictions of doom and gloom though, as our country doesn't need to live through 4 down years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with all the criticism of her, but I can't help but direct you to this YouTube movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfz6QGmuvp4