Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Ranger's Apprentice - Book 5

Ok, so I'm addicted to "escape" reading. If you've looked at my profile at all, you'll see that my favorite books are Harry Potter, Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, and the Ranger's Apprentice series. These may not be my most favorite of all time, but they're fresh in my head, so they make the list right now. As you'll note from the list, I'm not really into "heavy reading." In fact, I'm sort of into "nerd" books...I mean that in a good way.

I'm extremely excited because I just bought Book 5 in the Ranger's Apprentice Series. For those of you who don't know, Ranger's Apprentice is written by Australian writer John Flanagan who started the books to get his son interested in reading. It follows the story of a 15 year old boy name Will who is taken on as a Ranger's Apprentice in the mythical kingdom of Araluen. Here's a link to the Ranger's Apprentice website:

http://www.rangersapprentice.com/

Yes, I know, it says it's a series for young readers, but I guarantee adults will like it too. I had stayed away from the books for a long time because it was for "kids." Earlier in October, I had to go on a business trip. I always take a book to read on the plane. My wife gave me the first 2 books in the Ranger's Apprentice series. I was hooked 20 pages into book 1, and quickly read books 1 - 4.

These books are fast paced, easy to read and filled with great characters. The lead character, Will, is extremely likable, and you root for him right away. His mentor, Halt, takes some getting used to, but you quickly discover that he's a terrific character as well. In fact, I've liked all the characters I met as I went through books 1-4, and I can't wait to see what's in book 5.

1 comment:

WeaVeR ReVieW said...

I really like this series, too. I'm happy you like it Jake. Remind me, we've got to talk about book 5 now that I've read it.