Friday, November 7, 2008

It's just a game

While basking in the glow of last night's 34-30 win by my beloved Denver Broncos over the Cleveland Browns, I happened upon this column by Rick Reilly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3682223

I am not a Rick Reilly fan. Most of the time I find him obnoxious or annoying or both. However, this one really struck a chord with me. As a Denver Broncos fan, I've followed the career of Jay Cutler, the starting Quarterback, with great interest. Ever since John Elway (a.k.a. the Greatest QB ever!!!) retired, the Broncos have had a steady stream of pretenders filling the QB role. With Jay Cutler, I think the Broncos finally have a really good one.

In the off season, Cutler was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, and had to start a daily insulin regimen that he has to follow for the rest of his life. Cutler was diagnosed after losing 35 lbs. last season, and being so tired that he was sleeping 10-13 hours a day.

This Rick Reilly column explains how Cutler, by playing a game, is inspiring kids with diabetes all over the country. This season has been a very up and down one for Jay Cutler. The Broncos aren't a very good team, and he has struggled at times, although he's probably been good more often than he's been bad. Lately, the media and fans like me have been hard on Cutler, as the Broncos had lost 3 in a row. This column really hit me and reminded me it's just a game.

Because I sometimes take Denver Broncos football too seriously, I'll probably forget all this the next time Cutler throws an interception that is returned for a touchdown, so hopefully columnists like Rick Reilly will occasionally remind us fans that this is just a game.

And, by the way, in last night's win, Jay Cutler carried the Broncos, throwing for a career high 447 yards and 3 Touchdowns. Woohoo!!!

No comments: