Saturday, December 19, 2009

Movie Review: Terminator: Salvation


On to something more fun, after all these dire political blogs lately. Last night, I watched "Terminator: Salvation" on a friends home theater system. I am not the biggest fan of the "Terminator" franchise, but I enjoy the movies. They've all been 3-4 star movies, and "Salvation" continues that, rating 4 stars.

Christian Bale takes the role of John Connor in this movie. I like Bale a lot, so that was a plus for me. "Salvation" is set in the year 2018, and the few remaining humans are waging a losing battle against Skynet and the Terminators. Connor is not yet the supreme leader of the resistance, but is sort of an inspirational leader to everyone, making regular radio broadcasts to spur on the troops, so to speak. I enjoyed seeing Connor all grown up and in control. I always found it hard to believe from prior movies that he was ever going to be humanity's last hope.

Where "Salvation" falls short is the plot. There wasn't really much of one, and frankly it didn't really seems like anyone was really trying. Very few of the actors demonstrated any emotional range, other than sadness and rage. But, for an action junkie, that's ok. For me, the battle scenes and special effects made up for the relatively simple plot. It also didn't hurt that I was watching it on a 110 inch screen with 7.1 surround sound and Blu-Ray picture quality.

If you like action and you like the "Terminator" franchise, I think you will enjoy "Terminator: Salvation" at some level.

No comments: