Sunday, December 20, 2009

About Movie Ratings

If you really pay attention to this blog, you will notice 2 things with my movie ratings lately. There are fewer of them, and they are almost always positive.

Well, there are fewer because a few months ago I cut back to the 1 disk plan on Netflix. What this means, is I can only have 1 movie at my house at a time. Previously, I was on the 2 disk plan. As my kids get older, I have less and less time to watch movies, so I thought I'd save a few bucks a month by dropping back to the 1 disk plan.

The 1 disk plan has forced me to prioritize my movie watching, which means I'm adhering to the Netflix recommendations more and more. I have found that the software Netflix uses to determine recommendations is almost spot on. For those unfamiliar with Netflix, you can click on any movie, and you get a global rating from all subscribers who've rated it, but you also get what they call "Our best guess for...". The "Our best guess..." rating is what Netflix predicts you will rate a movie, based on your past ratings. And, it's correct roughly 95% of the time...kinda scary eh?

Since I've been on the 1 disk plan, I almost always get movies anymore that are predicted to be 3.5 stars or higher. So, it's not that I like everything, it's just that I'm picking movies I should like, which is really how we all should do it when it comes to movie watching.

2 comments:

Nuke said...

I always figured it was that... or maybe something simpler like your standards are way too low. Or, maybe they installed a new algorithm when you joined... if person = Jake then 3.5, else 2.8. Probably the real reason I had to start paying $1 extra for Blu-ray... had to pay for the huge change to their prediction software. ;)

Jake said...

I will admit that, in general, I'll watch just about anything. But it's not like I'm picking from the bottom of the barrel, getting movies that nobody else ever wants to watch, having to watch them at 2X or 3X speed just to get through them.