Friday, December 18, 2009

See, I'm not Crazy!

Here's documented proof that I'm not a lunatic. The latest Battleground Poll finds 63% of Americans consider themselves "very conservative" or "somewhat conservative", while only 37% of the country consider themselves "something else."

Those who have read this blog for a while will recall that I am naturally distrusting of polls, but this one seems to make sense. The battleground polling is developed by a team of Republican and Democrat pollsters who have to agree on the questions. Further, this specific "ideology" question has yielded very consistent results dating back to 2002.

I often wonder if I'm nuts, because if I watch the media or almost anything from Hollywood, or listen to what the majority of politicians say, I would have to believe that most of the country is liberal. However, in my daily life, I meet very few hardcore liberals. Most people I meet are at least fiscally conservative, and a large percentage are also socially conservative. So, my real life experience was conflicting with what I see from the media and others. This poll validates that what I experience in my daily life is the real truth of our country.

Well, why did Obama and the Democrats win then? I'll cite the old adage..."it's the economy, stupid!" It took a while for this to set in, but look at recent history. Every time this country is in an economic funk, the party in power loses their power.

This is why Obama's approval is tanking. There is 10% unemployment right now, and all Obama and the Democrats can talk about is Health Care reform. The American people don't care about health care reform when they are unemployed or living with significantly less than they did 2-3 years ago.

Hopefully one of the political parties will see this battleground poll and realize the American people are clamoring for strong, conservative leadership. Hopefully in 2010 one party will run as a conservative party that is going to reform the Federal Government, cut spending, reduce the deficit and get out of the way of the American people so that we can get ourselves out of this economic malaise. If one party can do that, they will win in a landslide.

No comments: