Monday, May 25, 2009

Who Needs to go to a Restaurant?

This holiday weekend has been filled with 2 fantastic home cooked meals. I'm not trying to toot our own horn, but these were some solid meals.

On Saturday night, I decided to grill steaks for my wife and I (the kids had hot dogs). We don't do steak very often because it's pretty expensive, but I got a good deal on 8 oz. Ribeye steaks. I seasoned the Steaks with Hy Vee Grill Seasoning, which includes pepper, garlic, salt, and a few other things. Then I marinated the steaks in Lawry's Steak and Chop marinade (garlic and black pepper are the primary ingredients). I grilled them for 6 minutes per side to get medium well. The were very good.

Then we added some steak fries. Last year, we found a great steak fries recipe...basically you cut up some potatoes into wedges, coat them with olive oil, add a little corn meal to make them crispy, and a seasoning if you want (we like Lawry's Season All). Bake them at 375 degrees for 1 hour, and they turn out great. Finally, we added a salad with Caesar dressing.

On Sunday night, we decided to try a recipe from the Pampered Chef Cook Book for Ratatouille. It was a vegetarian meal...I grilled egg plant, green bell peppers, zucchini, tomatoes and sweet onions. I had never grilled veggies before, but it worked out ok. We invited our neighbors over for dinner. They brought fresh fruit, we cooked the Ratatouille and some garlic bread...it was delicious.

Unfortunately, tonight we have nothing so grand on the menu. But, we had a great 2 days of meals, and my wife and I had a lot of fun cooking together.

No comments: