Sunday, May 24, 2009

Movie Review: Seven Pounds


It's going to be hard to describe "Seven Pounds" without giving away too much of the plot. I didn't like this movie...there were moments I liked, but I didn't like the overall premise of the movie. Furthermore, I really don't understand why people like movies like this...but the reviewers on Netflix all seemed to love it. I give it 2 stars, proving that it is possible for me to dislike a Wil Smith movie.

So, what was good about this movie? Rosario Dawson was terrific, as was Woody Harrelson in his limited role. What was bad about this movie? Pretty much everything else. Wil Smith is not that great in a dramatic role. Smith needs to be able to be funny and charming...or at least funny. Smith plays an IRS agent determined to improve the lives of people who otherwise wouldn't have a chance. Nice try at a story, but the way they go about it is predictable, and the ending is stupid.

If you want to watch this movie, go ahead. If you want to know more about why I didn't like it, I'd be happy to tell you, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who wants to see it.
5/28/09 - Spoilers posted in the comments. Nuke recommended I put them in.

1 comment:

Jake said...

Ok, here's the really dumb thing about this movie. Wil Smith blames himself for his wife's death. He caused a car accident that killed his wife and 6 others. He is out to change the lives of 7 people drastically before he kills himself. Two of the people he plans to help will get his heart and something to do with his eyes once he is dead. Then he falls in love with Rosario Dawson, who is supposed to get his heart. At the end, he follows through and kills himself, and we're supposed to be happy about it. Talk about trying to make suicide noble...it makes my skin crawl.