Sunday, May 24, 2009

Iowa Renaissance Festival

Yesterday, we went to the Iowa Renaissance Festival in Amana, Iowa. What a great time! This is the 2nd time we've gone as a family. If you've never been to a Renaissance Festival, you should go. You can see everything, from Jousting to sword fights to fire jugglers and on and on.

The highlight of the day for me was the food. I love fair food...it's fried and greasy and great. I ate "kinky fries" which were fried curly potatoes covered in melted cheese. We also had homemade root beer, homemade chocolate and some fried mini-donuts. The other highlight for me was the McCracken Brothers, who were 2 guys dressed in Scottish Kilts, and they had a golf setup. They had some hickory shafted clubs and the goal was to try to chip one in while they were yelling insults at you...great fun. I didn't chip one in, but I came close.

For the kids, the highlights included story time with William and Blackjack, the fire jugglers and the sword fighting demos. The other highlight for everyone was the knight demonstrations. It started raining, so we didn't get to see the jousting, but we got to see the test of skills for the knights.

It was a fun day, and I can't wait for next years Renaissance Festival.

No comments: