Saturday, April 25, 2009

Movie Review: The Illusionist


After a 2 week hiatus, I was able to finally watch a movie again last night. The first movie back was "The Illusionist". This was a movie that has been hovering near the top of my cue for months, but only recently made it to the top. I kept finding other movies that I wanted to watch more. Well, I was really missing out. "The Illusionist" is a terrific movie, and is easily a 4.5 star movie.

I would compare "The Illusionist" to films such as "The Prestige" and "The Count of Monte Cristo". Set in early 1900's Vienna, "The Illusionist" stars Edward Norton as master Illusionist Eisenheim who creates an elaborate plot to free his first love, played by Jessica Biel, who is to be married to the villain, Crown Prince Leopold, (played by Rufus Sewell). Adding an additional foil to the mix is Paul Giamati, who plays the Chief Inspector trying to figure out what Eisenheim is doing.

Overall, the cast is great. Norton shines in the lead role. I'm finding that I really like Edward Norton as an actor. He has played some interesting characters. One of the nits I had was the accents used by the actors was not consistent. This was especially true for Jessica Biel and Paul Giamati. Though, I really liked Giamati's character. Rufus Sewell was perfect as the Crown Prince Leopold. Sewell is really a natural villain. I have a hard time with him in the "Eleventh Hour" on CBS, because I think he's a much better villain.

I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes a good mystery/drama. This movie keeps you guessing to the end, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. I know I wasn't. I may have to buy this film at some point.

No comments: