Thursday, April 23, 2009

Guess who said it?

Here are 2 quotes on the expansion of gay marriage into our society. The question is, can you guess who said it?

Quote #1:
“We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised.”

Quote #2:
“I’m a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.”

A lot of similarity between those 2 statements. So, who said them?

Well, if you've been paying attention to the news lately, you would know that quote #1 was uttered by Miss California USA, Carrie Prejean, when asked this question by one of the judges. In the aftermath of this statement, some gay rights activists have called this answer by Prejean "hateful" and "angry". And, apparently, in the eyes of the pageant judges, and many of the same gay rights activists, this statement disqualified Prejean from the Miss USA title...she finished 2nd.

But, then there's that 2nd quote...who said that? Well, it's none other than the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama. In the last election, voters who claimed to be homosexual overwhelmingly supported Obama.

So, what have we learned here? Apparently our beauty pageant contestants are held to a higher standard than our President by certain segments of the population. I can't decide if this is funny or sad...maybe a little of both.

1 comment:

Nuke said...

No, it just proves that nobody listens to what Obama or his teleprompter say. Either that, or they all know full well his words have nothing to do with his eventual actions.

Funny that as I read Prejean's statement, it sure sounds like she's trying to be super nice about it.

As for the activists reactions, that's "tolerance" for you.