Monday, April 20, 2009

First Communion

Yesterday, our son David received his First Communion. For Catholics, and probably for all Christians, this is a big day. Catholics do this at a younger age than most...2nd grade. I grew up Lutheran, and didn't receive Communion until 5th grade.

First Communion comes on the heels of First Reconciliation, which was in January. David has now had the sacrements of Baptism, Reconciliation and Communion.

We had a great day. First Communion was at the 9 am mass. We had all 4 of David's grandparents in town, as well as 3 of Amanda's family members from Pennsylvania. At mass, our Deacon gave a great homily to the kids, and David got to answer a question during the homily. After listing several things he remembered about his first communion, Deacon Smith asked the kids, "what did I forget to mention?" David raised his hand, and answered "you forgot to mention that you aren't supposed to make a face when you drink from the cup." Raucous laughter ensued. The correct answer was Communion. The homily stressed the importance of remembering that Jesus loves us (which David told me again tonight), and remembering this most important part of the day.

The actual communion was wonderful. Both Amanda and I were a bit overcome with joy for David. He was so happy. When we got back to the pew, he said "I wanna go again!", with a huge smile on his face.

After taking pictures at the church (we got some great ones), we headed home to open gifts and prepare for the party. We had lots of help preparing for the party, which was good, because the night before, Amanda had fallen and sprained her ankle badly, requiring and emergency room trip (that's a story for another blog). Luckily, our families stepped up and helped us out. The party turned out to be a good time. Including family, we had 33 people stop by to visit and congratulate David. We also got numerous other cards in the mail.

I hope that David will remember this day always. I know I will. It was an exhausting weekend...I joked that I needed a weekend to recover from my weekend...but I think it was well worth it.

1 comment:

Deacon Sean Smith said...

Jake,

When David first gave that answer, the first thing that ran through my mind was "Was he at Mass last night?" When I gave the homily the night before, in my list of things the kids were probably told to remember, I included "don't make a face when you drink from the cup".

Anyway, I am very excited for David, and for you and Amanda. Thank you for the nice words about the homily.

+Peace,

Sean