Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Turkey and Black Bean Chili

This is starting to become a food blog. I've recently subscribed to allrecipes.com, and after what shall forever be known as the chili cooking disaster of 2010, I went in search of a chili recipe. My wife really likes turkey chili and we both like black beans, so I was looking for something that used ground turkey and could easily accept black beans. I found it in this recipe!

I did modify it slightly, and I cooked it in the crockpot for about 6 hours. I fed 7 people (5 adults) and there wasn't a drop of chili left when we were done.

Here's the recipe with my modifications:

1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
2 cups water
1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) can canned kidney beans - drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 ounce) can canned black beans - drained and rinsed
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilis
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon Emeril's Southwest Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Brown the turkey in a skillet with the olive oil. Once browned, add the onion and cook until tender.

Transfer the meat and onions to the crockpot and add all the other ingredients. Stir and cook on HI for 2 hours. Then lower the temperature to LO and let it cook for another 4 hours. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese.

This is a fairly mild chili, which was really appreciated by my wife. I added more pepper at the table to take the heat up a little bit. Some additional cayenne pepper would also work nicely in this recipe to take the heat up a bit. We will definitely be making this one again at our house.

3 comments:

Four Hours from Anywhere said...

Aren't you going to elaborate on the "Chili Cooking Disaster of 2010?" You can't refer to it without spilling some details!

Jake said...

My previous chili cooking experience has always involved "winging it". This process had resulted in some really good chili and some mediocre chili, but it had never turned out bad before...that is until the end of November, 2010. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but the chili turned out nasty. There was no amount of cheese or crackers that could save it.

After that experience, I decided I needed to have a baseline established, so I began looking for recipes that mirrored what I usually did so that I would have some actual measured quantities to start with. The recipe I found was fairly close to the ingredients I normally used, and where it differed, I modified it to match the ingredients I liked.

So, there you go...sometimes it takes a crisis to move us to something good.

Erin said...

Jake -- I'm making this tomorrow... looking forward to it!