Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Blu-ray vs. DVD

Now that I have a Blu-ray (according to Google, Blu-ray is the proper spelling) player and have watched some Blu-ray discs on it, I think I am qualified to give a review of Blu-ray. For the official record, I have watched "Despicable Me", "Sorcerer's Apprentice" and "Sky High" on Blu-ray disc. I have also watched the opening few minutes of "Fellowship of the Ring" on Blu-ray.

Blu-ray is better than DVD...but, it's not so much better that everyone is going to run right out and replace all their DVDs with Blu-rays. The Blu-ray picture and sound experience (even with TV speakers) is better than DVD. Some of the scenes are so clear that you feel like you could walk right into them. But, I think the up-converting DVD players do a great job in approximating true HD.

So, while I'm thrilled that I have a Blu-ray player, and I will definitely buy some movies in Blu-ray, I'm not in a rush to replace my DVD collection just yet.

3 comments:

Nuke said...

You don't find it amazing enough to replace your DVDs, and yet in your eight-sentence post, you used the word "Blu-ray" ten times. I think your typing fingers are trying to tell you something.

Jake said...

Maybe blu-ray it's blu-ray fun blu-ray to blu-ray repeatedly blu-ray type blu-ray.

Actually, it might be like the Nelson's Meat Market burger...it was a good burger, but there was just too much build-up.

mediocre coffee said...

I think having the bigger TV with more precise picture helps you appreciate the new media formatting as well.