Friday, December 31, 2010

Movie Review: Inception


Alright, I was wrong about "Inception". My typical disdain for Leonardo DiCaprio movies kept me from seeing this one in the theater, even though Christopher Nolan is one of my favorite directors and Ellen Page is one of the best young actresses in Hollywood. My disdain for DiCaprio started with "Romeo and Juliet" and has just continued to fester...and that festering nearly stopped me from seeing a really good movie on a really big screen.

Enter my friend Chad...he of the 110", 7.1 or 9.1 surround sound home theater. Last night, we had movie night at Chad's house, and "Inception" was the feature. This is one you want to see on as big of a screen as possible. The effects are amazing. I would definitely recommend Blu-ray for this show.

The premise is kinda cool. DiCaprio is Dom Cobb, a man who makes his living sharing dreams with people and then stealing their most intimate secrets from the dream. He is recruited by a rich industrialist to plant an idea in his rival's head (i.e. inception). Cobb recruits a team of other dream warriors and they set a plan in motion to jump into this man's dreams and plant the seeds of an idea that will grow to meet the master plan of the rich industrialist who is paying the bills. Think a sci-fi version of "Ocean's Eleven" meets "James Bond".

Overall, this is a 4 star movie. I still don't like Leonardo DiCaprio as an actor, but I was able to get past that for "Inception." The rest of the cast, including Ellen Page, Cillian Murphy, Ken Wattanabe, Michael Caine and Tom Berenger helped overcome my dislike for DiCaprio. And, Nolan's directing was top notch once again. The action and effects were really good, and the story kept you guessing until the very end. You really have to pay attention to this one. And the ending...well, it keeps you guessing a little more.

No comments: