Saturday, February 20, 2010

Movie Review: Surrogates


"Surrogates" is the latest sorta weird Sci-Fi action movie that I've take the time to watch. At only 90 minutes, it wasn't that much time on a Friday night. I've been having a bad run of movies lately, so I was really hopeful with "Surrogates" because Bruce Willis rarely makes a bad movie.

In this movie, 98% of the world's population is living out their daily lives through robotic surrogates. Basically, these people sit at home in a chair and are connected to their robot selves who are out living life. This is said to be safer, cleaner and all around better for everyone...until the death of a surrogate causes the death of it's controller. That's when we meet Special Agent Tom Greer (Bruce Willis), who is charged with unravelling the mystery of how this could happen. When he nearly dies using his own surrogate, Greer ventures back into the world as a human, only to find the plot is much bigger than even he could imagine.

I liked this movie, but I didn't love it. I always like Bruce Willis movies, and I've gone back and forth on whether this is a 3 or 4 star movie...so lets call it 3.45 stars. Here's what I did like about this movie:

-The overall idea of the movie...surrogates being controlled by people in chairs is a good Sci-Fi theme
-The fear the non-surrogates (humans) have of the surrogates
-The new twist on the standard Bruce Willis tough guy character
-The ending

Here's what I didn't like:

-Agent Greer's wife and that entire subplot...it was tedious and annoying
-The length of the movie...90 minutes wasn't enough
-The relative ease that brought about the ending

I think Sci-Fi fans will like "Surrogates" but will maybe feel a little short changed like do. For everybody else, you can just skip this one.

No comments: