Saturday, February 20, 2010

Book Review: Sea of Monsters


Lately, it seems that all do is review books and movies. Where is the cutting edge commentary on the political events of the day? Where are the rants about sports? Where is the offbeat humor? Well, I've just been too busy to think about those things (yes, I do think before I blog). I haven't even been able to watch much of the Olympics, and I love the Olympics.

But, I have made time to read before bed each night. The latest book is the 2nd in the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series..."Sea of Monsters." In this installment, Percy is a year older and a little wiser. He has befriended a street kid named Tyson, and is actually having a good year of school. Until, he starts having dreams of his friend Grover being held captive by a Cyclops. That's when Annabeth shows up, and Percy's life gets interesting again.

"Sea of Monsters" is a good follow up to "The Lightning Thief." I thought it had some interesting Greek mythology sprinkled in and a good bit of action. However, it was lacking a little of the humor from the first book, but I still found it funny. The addition of Tyson is a nice touch, and we get to meet Hermes, the Messenger of the gods, who is a different, but very likable character.

Overall, "Sea of Monsters" falls a bit short of "The Lightning Thief" but was still a good book, and hasn't stopped me from wanting to read the last 3 books in the series.

No comments: