Wednesday, December 23, 2009

We're All Prophets

Every morning (well almost every morning) for the past 3-4 months, I've tried to start my day by reading the Bible. My father-in-law got me a subscription to "Living the Faith" to help me with daily readings. As I finished my reading this morning, I noticed that tomorrow's gospel reading is the Canticle of Zechariah, from Luke 1: 68-79. Now, 8 or 9 months ago, this wouldn't have caught my attention, but the weekly men's group I attend always opens by praying the Canticle of Zechariah. It's the prayer that Zechariah prayed following the birth of John the Baptist, and it really is a wonderful prayer.

So, why am I blogging about this? Well, this morning as I was showering (where I do my best thinking), one phrase from this prayer started rattling around in my head. It's from Luke 1, verse 76, which says "You, My child shall be called The prophet of the Most High, For you will go before the Lord to prepare His way".

Now, Zechariah was talking about his own son, John, but isn't it true for all of us? Aren't we all called to be Prophets of the Most High in our own unique way? All of us who believe in Jesus Christ are called to do our part to let His light shine in the world. And it doesn't have to be something grand. We can bring Christ's light into the world in our daily lives, with how we act as husbands, wives, parents, children and friends. We can be an example of His love at work and in our volunteer activities. We can be a prophet by stepping out of our comfort zone and sharing our faith through a blog writing. There are lots of little ways we can be prophets of the Most High every day, we just have to listen and act on what God is leading us to do.

1 comment:

Deacon Sean Smith said...

I wonder if that whole being anointed priest, prophet and king at baptism is operative here! Great reflection, Jake!