Friday, October 23, 2009

Great TV Theme Songs

This week, George Wendt of "Cheers" fame, made an appearance on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike in the Morning. During that appearance, they played the theme song from "Cheers"...without a doubt the greatest TV theme song of all time.

Then I got to thinking about it, and there really are very few great theme songs for TV shows anymore. The only really good one I can think of, from current shows, is the theme song to "Psych". I thought about embedding a video, but the only person in the world that doesn't like "Psych" reads this blog, so I don't want to offend him. Plus, I already tricked him into listening to it once this week. If you want to hear it, click the link provided.

This got me thinking though, what are the best theme songs for TV shows? To be great, the song can't be terrible, and when you hear it, you instantly know what show it's from.

While "Psych" has a great theme song, it can't top these classics.

Here's my top 5 of all time (with You Tube links provided to all of them in case you want to listen/watch). Let me know if I've missed any good ones.

5 - Growing Pains - "Show me that smile again..."
4 - Magnum P.I - Tom Selleck...the best "stache" ever.
3 - MacGyver - just a classic.
2 - Dukes of Hazzard - this is almost #1
and #1
Cheers - simply the best of all time...hands down!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Star Trek: TNG and Star Trek:Deep Space Nine need honorable mentions. And, anyway, why didn't you do a top 10? How about Family Ties theme song? And The Facts of Life has got the list, especially if you're doing a top ten.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, Facts of Life is good!! And,if you are confident enough in your own masculinity, you could put the Golden Girls theme song on your list

Jake said...

Ok, so I couldn't come up with a top 10. You've come up with some good songs there. And, I'm not confident enough in my masculinity to mention Golden Girls...in fact I've never watched that show...ever...what have you heard?

A couple of other good songs:
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Saved by the Bell

Jake said...

The smartest person in my house found this link:

http://www.televisiontunes.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm glad for the television tunes link because I'm boycotting YouTube.

Anonymous said...

M*A*S*H...the best ever.
But I have to say, your list is good and great arguments can be made that you are right with Cheers.
What about Sesame Street? :-) Or the Muppet Show for that matter! Dang! Now you have me thinking!
Does the intro SportsCenter count?
Now I'm going to be thinking about this all night.
O' and who are you trying to kid? We all know of your crush on B. Arthur!

MCD

Nuke said...

If the visuals going along w/ the song count, I say A-Team.

Anonymous said...

How could exclude Sesame Street!? And the Muppets are great, too. I think you should come up with a couple lists based on the genre of the show maybe. This is fun to think about. I thought about A-Team also, but eventually went against it. Though, counting visuals would be a whole new top ten list...which McGyvar would make again!!!!!!