Sunday, October 25, 2009

Football Frenzy!

Yesterday was one of the greatest days of football ever, at least in my little corner of the world. I live in Iowa, so I tend to root for the Iowa Hawkeyes and the Iowa State Cyclones. When they play each other, I root for the Hawkeyes...sorry Cyclone fans. Neither of these schools is my Alma mater though...I went to Division I-AA South Dakota State University. Go Jackrabbits!

Anyway, yesterday, Iowa State ended a 32 year losing streak to the Nebraska Cornhuskers when the game is played in Lincoln. It took 8 Nebraska turnovers, but Iowa State won 9-7. They are now 5-3 and have a shot at making a bowl game. Not bad for a team that won 2 games last season.

Then there was the Hawkeyes, who always seem to play just slightly better than their competition. Last night, they played the Michigan State Spartans. The Spartans went ahead 13-9 with 1:37 remaining in the game. Iowa hadn't done much on offense all day, but as they seem to do this season, they found a way to get it down to the 7 yard line. On 4th and Goal from the 7, Ricky Stanzi hit Marvin McNutt for a Touchdown as time expired to get the 15-13 win. The Hawks are now 8-0 and lead the Big Ten.

Finally, there are the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State. They are the 11th ranked team in Division I-AA, now called Football Championship Subdivision. They were playing the 6th ranked University of Northern Iowa Panthers. When I went to SDSU, we were a mediocre team, at best, so I fully expected the Jacks to lose yesterday. But they shocked me, by beating UNI 24-14, to remain undefeated in conference play, and 6-1 overall. With 4 games left, they have a shot to make the playoffs, which would be huge.

Oh yeah, and I played golf yesterday, so it was a really good day.

No comments: