Sunday, October 25, 2009

TV Series Review: Life, Season 2


"Life" appears to be the latest installment of great TV shows that never caught on. I watched Season 1 about 2 years ago and loved it. Last year, NBC kept moving the night around and I lost track of the show. So, when season 2 came out on DVD, I jumped at the chance to watch it. I absolutely loved this show...sadly, season 2 was the last. It was not renewed for a 3rd season. Too bad, because I think "Life" is a 5 star series.

"Life" stars Damian Lewis ("Band of Brothers") as Detective Charlie Crews. Crews was wrongfully convicted of a brutal murder, and sent to prison for 12 years. After DNA evidence cleared him, he got a $50 million dollar settlement and a job as a detective for the LAPD. Sort of far fetched...maybe it's why the show never caught on. Because of his time in prison, Crews is a bit quirky. For example, he's always eating fruit. Also, he's attempting to acheive Zen, so he's always quoting it and listening to Zen tapes.

In Season 2, Crews is continuing his efforts to uncover the conspiracy that sent him to prison. All the while, solving a new murder every episode with his partner, Detective Dani Reese (Sarah Shahi). The individual murders in each show were the best part of season 2. Some of the best episodes included "Evil...and His Brother Ziggy," "I Heart Mom," and "5 Quarts." The series finale, "One," felt a bit forced as I think the writers had to wrap things up too quickly. Still, it ended up working.

Adam Arkin is also a regular in the series. He plays Crews' roommate Ted. Ted was in prison with Crews for shady business practices. When he got out, he became Crews' money manager. He provides much needed comic relief in each episode. At first, I found Arkin's character sort of annoying, but in the end, I decided that he adds a lot to the show.

I really liked this series. I think it's sort of a cross between "Monk" and "Bones", but ends up being better than both in my opinion.

1 comment:

WeaVeR ReVieW said...

Wow. I can't believe you liked this TV series better than Bones, but, I guess you didn't seem to like it as much as I did.