Monday, September 7, 2009

TV Series Review: Psych, Season 3


"Psych" is the best show on TV...period. I know there are those out there who will disagree with me on this, but, they would be wrong. : )

Season 3 finds our heroes, Shawn and Gus, still running their Psychic Detective Agency. As you'll remember, Shawn isn't really psychic, he's just super observant, so he's able to fake being psychic. What makes this show so great though is the cast and the quirky things that happen every episode.

Every character is a bit unusual, but also very likable. I don't think there is a bad character on the show...I even like Corbin Bernsen and Shawn's dad Henry. I find myself rooting for each of these characters, even Detective Lasseter, who was sort of the foil for the first 2 seasons.

The unique stories that they weave around the largely formulaic mysteries each week are ridiculous and funny at the same time. One of my favorite episodes this season was "Murder?... Anyone?... Anyone?... Bueller?," which was an homage to 1980's teen films. The entire episode takes place at Shawn and Gus' 13 year high school reunion, and throughout the entire show, Shawn is trying to figure out which 1980's film they are in. Another great episode was "Tuesday the 17th", which is a lot like a "Friday the 13th" movie. The season finale, "An Evening with Mr. Yang," takes a slightly more serious turn, but still kept me laughing at the same time.

This is a great show...best on TV. Five stars, 2 thumbs way up, and several other good things.

No comments: