Friday, September 11, 2009

My Favorite Iowa Golf Course

This week, I've been fighting a terrible cold. Today, I woke up around 4 am and was so stuffed up that I couldn't sleep anymore. This was a major bummer, because today was supposed to be a Finkbine Friday. Finkbine is the golf course at the University of Iowa, and my favorite course in Iowa. Admittedly, there are a lot of Iowa courses I haven't played, but currently, Finkbine is my favorite.

Well, as I said, I was feeling terrible, and was considering cancelling. But, the smartest person in my house (probably the world) told me I should just go and that I would start feeling better once I was out there. So, I got heavily medicated and went to meet the 3 guys I was going to be golfing with.

Before I met the guys, I stopped at McDonald's for a large orange juice. Never order a large orange juice at McDonald's. It's a 32 oz. orange juice. That's a whole lotta juice. But I digress.

We arrived at the course early, and got to tee off about 20 minutes early. I rented a cart because I didn't think I could walk the course with the way I was feeling. On the first hole, I ripped a perfect drive, right down the middle. From there, I proceeded to have a bit of a rough go of it on the front nine, but the weather was perfect, the course was in great shape, and I had good company. That really smart person in my house was right...I was feeling a little better, though still glad I had a cart.

Well, the effects of my cold must have helped me as the round wore on, because I made an eagle and 2 birdies on the back 9 to end up shooting a pretty respectable score...and my personal best at Finkbine. I can't wait to get back there again.

1 comment:

Nuke said...

"Before I met the guys, I stopped at McDonald's for a large orange juice. Never order a large orange juice at McDonald's. It's a 32 oz. orange juice. That's a whole lotta juice. But I digress."

Oh... MAN... you are starting to sound like me. ADD can be so... hey, a bird.