Friday, May 8, 2009

Movie Review: X-Men Origins: Wolverine


I saw "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" in the theater this afternoon. I was slightly apprehensive going in, as Ebert really ripped this movie, and rottentomatoes.com has it at a 36% favorable rating. However, the 2 real people I talked to that had seen it, said they loved it, so I was hopeful. And, I wasn't disappointed. I would put "Wolverine" somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd X-Men movies for coolness factor. Overall, it's a 4 star film.

The movie opens with a really well done montage of Wolverine's life, which began in the mid 19th century. The montage then follows through all the wars that Wolverine had been a part of. It appears to me that the movie finally settles on taking place during the mid to late 1970's, so about 20 years before the first X-Men movie. Through the movie, we learn how Wolverine comes to have an Adamantium Skeleton, we see the birth of his rivalry with Victor Creed (a.k.a. Sabretooth), and we learn how he loses his memory.

Hugh Jackman reprises the role of Logan (a.k.a. Wolverine), and I think he's excellent in the role. But, I'm a Jackman fan, so I'm biased. Liev Schreiber plays the Victor Creed, and does it very well. He and Jackman really complement each other. The rest of the cast is good, but not stellar.

The effects in the movie were a little disappointing. There were times when Wolverine's claws look pretty obviously CGI. There were also a few times when you just have to roll with some of the things that are said. But, those detraction's are not enough to take away from the overall goodness of the film. It's a definite popcorn movie, and a must see for action movie fans.

1 comment:

Nomad said...

i wondered sometimes (like during any of the explosion scenes) if the producers were trying to make fun of their own movie, or maybe the superhero genre in general