Friday, May 8, 2009

Obama at Notre Dame

I saw this from Archbishop Raymond Burke today and find that it almost perfectly echos my sentiments on President Obama being invited to speak at Notre Dame's commencement.

Notre Dame is first, and foremost a Catholic University, and the Catholic Church is very clear on it's teaching regarding abortion. The church's teaching is that we protect life from CONCEPTION to NATURAL DEATH.

I know the Catholic Church also says we shouldn't be single issue voters, but rather we should look at the broader picture. However, I recall reading an opinion from a Catholic Bishop during the election that stated it perfectly. No war or social issue has caused the deaths of 50 million people. Abortion has caused 50 million deaths in this country and therefore trumps all other issues. Very well said in my opinion.

So, back to Notre Dame. I think it's shameful what they are doing. President Obama is the most pro-choice President we have ever had. His voting record while in Illinois tells us this, no matter what he says publicly. Notre Dame should have put their faith over tradition and not invited Obama. I have been a fan of Notre Dame athletics since I was about 10 years old. After I converted to Catholicism, I took more pride in Notre Dame as the National Catholic University. After this, I'm not sure I'll ever look at Notre Dame the same way again.

No comments: