Saturday, March 21, 2009

Movie Review: Next


Against my better judgement, I decided to watch "Next" which is a Nicholas Cage flick. If you recall, I had an earlier theory that Nicholas Cage is no longer capable of making a good movie, unless it has "National Treasure" in the title.

"Next" had its positive points, in fact, for about 85 minutes of the 95 minute movie, "Next" was encroaching upon a 4 star rating. But, as one Netflix reviewer put it regarding the end of the movie: "Perhaps worst of all is the ending which feels forced and incomplete." I can't sum the ending up any better than that. I ended up giving this movie a 3 star rating.

The other big problem in the movie was Julianne Moore. She went from being annoyingly mean, to almost too nice. There was nothing to explain the switch. I didn't have as big a problem with the terrorists they were trying to catch. A couple of Netflix reviewers said that it was frustrating to not really understand the motives of the "bad guys", but it was fine with me. I don't like to think too hard during movies.

I really did like the premise of the movie...a guy who can see approximately 2 minutes in the future is a pretty cool idea. This ability lead to some really cool chase scenes. And, even the part where Chris (Nicholas Cage) tries to meet the girl, played by Jessica Biel, was entertaining. Basically, he played out a bunch of possible futures in his mind before he found one that would work.

Now onto my Nicholas Cage soapbox. Nicholas Cage is not a good actor. Sure, he won an Oscar, but I'm not sure how he did that. In my opinion, Cage has had 4 really good films: "The Rock", "Con Air", "National Treasure 1" and "National Treasure 2". What do those films all have in common? Action, adventure, no really stupid plot twists, and an ending that leaves you feeling fulfilled in what you watched. Cage needs to get back to making those types of films. "Next" could have been in that category if they just would have given it a good ending.

No comments: