Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Must See Movies

I've been kicking this around for a long time. Being a sort of movie buff, I think there are certain movies all people must see. These are not necessarily the best movies ever, but movies that are either quotable, or have some type of "coolness" to them that must be seen. Note, that my favorite movie of all time is "Batman Begins" didn't make this list, because I will admit that it's not for everyone. Without further adieu, here's Jake's list of must see movies (in no particular order):
  • Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail - you may hate it, but everyone should experience it
  • Unforgiven - in my opinion, the best Western ever made...just really, really good.
  • Forrest Gump - Great story, great characters, great music...what more could you want?
  • The Princess Bride - One of the most quotable films ever made.
  • Braveheart - Definitely the best medieval conflict movie I've ever seen.
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind - if you've never seen Richard Dreyfuss construct Devil's Tower out of mashed potatoes, then you've never lived!
  • Ghostbusters - Bill Murray at his comedic best.
  • Toy Story - the first Pixar film, revolutionized animation.
  • Star Wars - watch at least the original trilogy...the prequels are good too, but optional.
  • Band of Brothers - ok, not a movie, but a mini-series that should be required for all high school history students.
  • Field of Dreams - "If you build it, he will come." If you don't know what that means, watch the movie.
  • The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - if you've never read the books, watch the movies. If you've read the books, watch the movies.
  • Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - the film-making is revolutionary. Pretty much the entire movie was shot in front of a green screen.
  • The Untouchables - I can't believe 2 Kevin Costner movies made this list. Just a great film.
  • The Right Stuff - I only watched this for the first time about a year ago...it's great.
  • Indiana Jones - definitely watch "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "The Last Crusade". The other 2 are optional.
  • Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - This movie gets better every time I see it. Plus, the parallels to Christianity that C.S. Lewis had in the books carry through to the movie.

Just missing out were "Office Space" (because if you don't work in a cubicle, you probably wouldn't get it), "The Wedding Singer" (because it's Adam Sandler, although it's really good, trust me), "Silverado" (because it also had Costner and it's a distant 2nd in the Western category), and "Mr. Holland's Opus" (because the ending is great, the rest of the film is only good).

That was really fun for me...let the debate begin!

Disclaimer - I don't watch many older movies (pre 1980), so I'm missing many of the "Classics" from my movie viewing repertoire.

1 comment:

Kamtre said...

You should check out super troopers. All my friends have said Caddyshack is a must see, but I've never seen that one either.

Any Cheech and Chong too :P