Saturday, February 7, 2009

Movie Review: Fellowship of the Dice


A friend of mine lent me this movie to watch. This week, we were talking about the game Dungeons and Dragons, which I had played some in college, but ended up quitting because it took too much time and too often there were conflicts in the game that made it less fun. When the games ran well, it was great fun.

"Fellowship of the Dice" is an independent film (I almost never watch indies), that is sort of a documentary, but mostly a story about a specific group of "gamers" who welcome newcomer into the group.

I'll be honest, I nearly turned this movie off halfway through, but I decided to stick it out, and I actually ended up enjoying it somewhat. The group of gamers in the movie reminded me so much of the group I used to play with. The "game master" was really concerned about everyone having a good time, yet still wanting to be in complete control. There was the quiet one, the sometimes inappropriate one, the guy who tries to make sure everyone gets along, and the one person who takes it WAY TOO SERIOUSLY. Intermixed in the movie are documentary style discussions with real gamers, and that made for some pretty good entertainment.

In the end, I found this movie, while sort of poking fun at gamers, leads one to conclude that gaming is really an ok thing. "Fellowship of the Dice" is a 3 star movie.

No comments: