Friday, January 23, 2009

TV Series Review: Psych, Season 1


I resisted "Psych" for a long time. I have a coworker who kept telling me to watch it, telling me that I'd absolutely love it. Recently, my TV watching queue on Netflix was a little light, so I decided to give "Psych" a shot. And, my coworker was right, I love this show.

The show centers around Shawn Spencer (James Roday) and Burton "Gus" Guster (Dule Hill). Shawn is a slacker, who just happens to be very, very observant. In the pilot, Shawn gets into a bit of trouble, but due his powers of observation, he is able to fool the police into believing he's a Psychic. Soon, Shawn is hired to help the Santa Barbara Police, so he enlists the help of his old pal Gus to help make sure he doesn't screw up. With a success under their belt, the 2 friends form their own private detective agency, called....Psych.

"Psych" is not like any other show on TV. It's extremely funny, but unlike a sitcom, you get original, quirky humor, plus you get the added mystery aspect of it. The characters are extremely easy to like, even the sour Detective Lasseter (Timothy Osmundson) has his moments.

The series also stars Corbin Bernsen, Kristen Nelson and Maggie Lawson. I've got season 2 up next in my Netflix Queue. I rated season one 5 stars, so season 2 has a lot to live up to.

No comments: