Thursday, January 1, 2009

Book Review: "The Seems: The Glitch in Sleep"


"The Seems: The Glitch in Sleep" is the latest book in the Barnes and Noble Children's Section that I read. It seems that I only like books found in the Sci Fi, Teens and Children's sections. I think this may go back to my childhood. I didn't read many books, and I think I'm catching up.

"The Seems" was written by John Hulme and Michael Wexler, and follows the life of Becker Drane, who is the youngest Fixer in The Seems. The Seems is the world behind our World that is responsible for making sure life in this world goes on normally. The workers in The Seems have varied roles in this operation, from Case Workers who focus on individual lives to the Weathermen who are responsible for making the weather. Fixers, like Becker Drane, are called in when a problem in The Seems is leading to a problem in the world, such as a drought in the Iberian Peninsula.

But everything is not always right in The Seems. The workers in The Seems all follow "The Plan" which tells how everything in the world should go. However, there are some in The Seems who believe that "The Plan" is cruel because it allows for suffering in The World. These people in The Seems sabotage the daily workings as a way to take control.

In "The Glitch in Sleep", 12 year old Becker is called in to fix a Glitch in the Department of Sleep. The entire world is suffering from a case of Insomnia and only Becker can save the day. The Glitch has been all over in the Department of Sleep, from the Dreamatorium to the Master Bedroom. If Becker doesn't stop the Glitch before Dawn in The Seems, the entire plan for the following days will unravel.

"The Seems" is fast paced and exciting. I found it quirky, but good. There are a lot of humorous plays on words throughout, as well as good appendices to explain the terms used. I'm really looking forward to reading "The Seems: The Split Second". If you enjoy enjoy fast paced, somewhat simple stories, I think you'll really like this book. I don't think small kids would enjoy it, but probably about 11-12 and older would really like it.

2 comments:

Nuke said...

Have you ever read "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card? I read that in my late teens and would rank it in my top 5 favorite books of all time. If you like getting more serious philosophically, you would read the three books that came out after it. Considering you enjoy younger sorts of books, I would suggest if you enjoy Ender's Game to skip those three and jump to the four after that (the "Shadow" ones).

Jake said...

Haven't read it...I'll add it to my list though.