Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Chili weekend

No, I didn't spell chilly wrong, though it is very chilly here. This weekend was all about Chili (and family).

For several weeks now I've been looking for an opportunity to make my famous chili. Ok, well, it's not famous, but it's one of the few things I can cook that I think is actually sorta good. I learned it from my mom when I was in high school, and have since adapted/modified it. Yesterday, I tried several new things with my chili, and I think it may have been the best batch ever.

It's a fairly simple recipe. I put 2 cans of diced tomatoes with spicy green chili's, with a couple of cans of chili beans, and 1 lb. of meat in. Then I add water, spices and cook all day in the crockpot. So, the new stuff I tried yesterday was I replaced ground beef with ground turkey. To spice up the blandness of the turkey a little bit, I added my wife's secret turkey seasoning and some garlic salt, then browned it. Then instead of normal chili beans, I included 1 can of black beans. I really like black beans. Finally, to spice it up a little bit, I added some Frank's Red Hot Sauce, Garlic Powder and chopped onions. I seasoned it all afternoon with black pepper and chili powder, and then served with some hard rolls. I think we all enjoyed it, and I'm really looking forward to leftovers this week.

Then tonight our church had a Christmas Sing-along followed by a hot dog and chili supper. The sing-along was a lot of fun because Nicholas went up front and sang with the other kids. Nicholas has asperger's syndrome (a high functioning form of autism), so he typically doesn't do that sort of thing. We were so proud of him! Then we ate our chili supper. The organizers of the event each made their own recipes, so I got to have 2 different types of chili. Both were really good, and we got to have some good conversation with our fellow parishioners.

Overall, this was a great, Chili weekend!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I only have one chilly note for you sir. You have to be careful giving out all your chili secrets. Now, some silly chili ameteur can show up willy-nilly to a chili contest and compete with your experienced chili which took years of your chilly midwestern life to perfect. However, I will thank you in advance, because I will probably warm some chilly filly with your chili in the near future... Oh, and I'm glad you had a good chili weekend.