Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Earning his card

On Monday evening, I was watching Monday Night Football, when I randomly decided to check what was on The Golf Channel. I flipped over and immediately saw Wil Collins hitting his tee shot into a par 3. Why is this interesting? Well, because I went to high school with Wil Collins. We played on the same golf team, though I was no where near his level as a player. Wil was our best player on a team that won 3 straight state titles (I was only around for the first 2, and didn't really contribute to either of them).

The event that Wil was playing in was the PGA Tour Qualifying School event. The top 25 finishers earn their tour card for the next season. Only the best of the best get to play the PGA Tour. Needless to say, it's extremely difficult to get a card. When I tuned in, Wil was -17, 2 shots off the magic number, which was -19. He made 2 birdies and sunk a 20 foot putt on his 18th hole to finish inside the top 25 and earn full playing privileges. It was his 7th try at Q School, and the first time he's made it through.

Though we weren't really close friends, it was really cool to see someone I've known for a long time reach the top of his profession. I called one of my high school buddies and we talked while we both watched the final few holes. I couldn't help but remember all the times I would see Wil grinding away on the driving range, hitting ball after ball, while my friends and I screwed around on the golf course. He always had a drive that few could match. Now, his drive, hard work and dedication has brought him to the highest level of his profession. Very cool indeed!

I don't know how he's going to do this coming golf season. I do know that I, and most of us who were on those golf teams will be tuned in and rooting for Wil to have a successful season and hopefully a long career.

No comments: