Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Movie Review: Kung Fu Panda


Here's another one for the kids...though I like these types of movies too. "Kung Fu Panda" is better than your usual Dreamworks animation movie, in that it doesn't just rely on humor to carry a relatively crappy story. While it is funny, I found it also had a good message about following your dreams and learning to believe in yourself.

The story centers around Po, an overweight Panda working at his father's Noodle Soup Restaurant, who is chosen as the Dragon Warrior by the Kung Fu Master, much to the dismay of the Furious Five (Tiger, Mantis, Crane, Monkey and Viper). The remainder of the movie centers around Po being accepted by the furious five, and their grouchy master, as well as learning to believe in himself as the Dragon Warrior. In the end, he faces off against the villain, Ty Luong (not sure about that spelling), and he finally comes to understand what it means to be "The Dragon Warrior."

"Kung Fu Panda" features the voice talents of Jack Black, as the Po the Panda. Normally, I can't stand Jack Black, but he was excellent as the voice of Po. Dustin Hoffman, Angelina Jolie, Lucy Liu, Jackie Chan and Ian McShane also provide voice talents for this star-studded cast.

I found this film heart-warming and funny with a good message. My kids loved it and will watch it as often as we'll let them over the next few days I'm sure. Overall, I'd give it 4 stars. Some of the fight scenes may be a little intense for smaller children, so I think the PG rating is warranted. I would say this one is ok for kids 5 and older.

No comments: