Saturday, March 26, 2011

We are all God's...Grills?

With a title like that, I bet you want to read more.  I'm in the market for a new grill.  Don't get me wrong, I still love my old grill, even with it's hotspots and coldspots, sticky spots and rusty spots.  It's just that my cooking desires have outgrown the capabilities of my $99 Home Depot special that my mom and dad bought be 9 years ago when we moved into this house.  It's been a great grill for a long time, even after the igniter went out 5 years ago.  If I could find a reason to have 2 grills, I would keep it.  But, we don't tailgate before football games, and the new grill that I'm looking at will be plenty large for us to use to entertain.  So, I plan to give my old grill away to anybody who wants it.

So, last night, I went to Lowe's and Menard's to look at grills.  Then I came home and did my bible reading.  I'm reading from the Gospel of Luke right now.  After finishing my bible reading, I read from "The Christian Atheist", which is a book a friend loaned to me.  So, for a good hour, I got a message of how much God loves us.  Then I went to sleep, but it was not a good night's sleep.  My youngest son had a rough night's sleep, so my wife and I had rough nights of sleep. During one of my awake periods, I was thinking about grills and about God, and I came to the conclusion that we are all like my old grill, that I still love.  We have our hotspots, we have our coldspots, we are maybe a little rusty, and possibly we are broken in some way.  Yet God loves us despite all of these flaws, just like I love my little grill. 

I don't know why, but that context to describe God's love really brought me comfort last night.  You may just think it's weird, but I decided to write it on the off chance that someone else would see the world in the same, peculiar way I do, and take comfort.  After all, we are all God's grills. 

No comments: