Thursday, March 24, 2011

Top 5 Family Friendly Movies

To start, you may notice that I added a new blog link to my "blogs I follow" gadget. The Deacon Speakin' is written by Deacon Sean, who occasionally comments on this blog. It appears that his blog actually has important, insightful things to say, rather than just randomly rating movies and books and stuff.

But, I do enjoy the movie rating. One of my favorite things to do is watch movies with my family. Here are the Top 5 Family Friendly Movies that we've watched. You'll notice this is skewed somewhat newer, since my kids are still relatively young. In fact, my 10 year old consulted with me on this list. We tried our best to judge this on what we thought the entire family liked, though with my wife, it's sometimes hard to tell how much she really likes a movie. Part of the mystery that makes her wonderful.

Ok, the list...

5 - "Home Alone" - My son described this as real life Tom & Jerry. My wife and I just really like this movie, and the kids laughed their heads off. We just had a great time watching Macauley Culkin lure Joe Pesci and and Daniel Stern into trap after trap. Well that, and he learns along the way that he really does have a wonderful family...that sadly forgot him when they went to Paris.

4 - "Kung Fu Panda" - One of my all-time favorite animated films. I quote Po (the Panda) all the time..."Legend tells, of a legendary warrior, who's Kung Fu skills were the stuff of Legends!" With the vocal talents of Jack Black, Dustin Hoffman, Ian McShane, Angelina Jolie and Jackie Chan, this movie really has everything. Plus, Po learns a very valuable lesson at the end...but you're going to have to watch "Kung Fu Panda" to find out what it is.

3 - "Astro Boy" - I just reviewed this one recently. We all really liked it. I would write more, but I just reviewed it recently...and since I'm really not watching that many movies these days, it won't be very difficult for you to go back and read the review.

2 - "Evan Almighty" - Steve Carell at his best and Morgan Freeman as God...does it get any better? Well, it must since this is #2 on the list, but I digress. Steve Carell is Evan, the newly elected Congressman from Buffalo, NY. Shortly after taking office, God visits Evan and tells him to build an Ark. At first Evan resists, but eventually gives in after some persuasion from God. Along the way, Evan and his family grow closer, and Evan comes to discover what is really important in life. Now...let's do the dance! (if you haven't watched "Evan Almighty" then that means nothing to you)

1 - "The Princess Bride" - The Cliffs of Insanity, The Fire Swamp, The Pit of Despair, Fezzik, Inigo Montoya, the 6 fingered man, Westley and Buttercup...need I say more? Well, I will say more. This is one of the greatest movies of all time, not just a family movie, but a great movie. With plenty of action, sword fights, miracles and true love, "The Princess Bride" never gets old...we watch it a few times a year and just have a great time. "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare...to die." Just go watch it...you know you want to...just go...now!!!

1 comment:

Your Wife said...

You're so nice. I think I would put Prince of Egypt on this list.