Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Art of Scrambled Eggs

Who knew I had been making scrambled eggs wrong my entire life? Today we had another family over after church for brunch. The husband/father of this family is one of my chief mentors in cooking. In fact, my father-in-law getting me hooked on Food Network, and this friend's cooking are probably the 2 biggest influences in me wanting to cook more.

So, for today's meal, my wife made a French Toast Casserole, which was awesome, by the way. I was in charge of eggs and bacon...pretty easy stuff. So, I was mixing the eggs for the scrambled eggs like I always do, and my friend said that I needed to me more aggressive. He then took the bowl and the whisk and demonstrated for me. The point of the more aggressive whisking is to get air into the eggs, making them more light and fluffy. He actually tilted the bowl and created an egg whisking vortex. It was magical! Who knew there was such an art to this stuff?

For the 2nd batch of eggs, I applied this method (not nearly as well), and they were the best scrambled eggs I had ever made. They were light and fluffy, and the most yellow scrambled eggs I had ever made...apparently I had never gotten them really well mixed before.

I know this friend reads my blog sometime, so thanks for the continued tips and techniques in cooking.

4 comments:

mediocre coffee said...

I give you 10 blog points for using the phrase "egg whisking vortex."

Julie said...

Me too! When ARE you going to write that book?????

Brian said...

Wait until you add some milk to the vortex!

Jake said...

I always use milk...and generally a little salt and pepper.