Thursday, December 16, 2010

Banishment!

Our first Christmas as a married couple was an exciting one. We had been married almost 12 months, and we were expecting our first child in early December. Around Thanksgiving that year, my wife and I went to K-Mart in Brookings, SD to purchase a small Christmas tree, some lights and some basic ornaments. We were unable to go visit family because my wife was due in about 2 weeks. At K-Mart, we bought a Denver Broncos tree ornament, among other things, that I have proudly hung on our tree for the last 10 years.

This year, I banished that ornament. I find that I am so disappointed by the Denver Broncos organization that I couldn't bring myself to put it up. It's not just that they are losing, but it's the way the organization has conducted itself since the firing of Mike Shanahan. Bad decisions, bad examples on the field, and a cheating scandal off of it. I thought there was nothing that could ever taint my love for my team, but it's tainted this year. I still care, but I find that they are just disappointing me too much, so I have sort of shut down so as not to open myself up to further hurt, shame and disappointment.

I know, I know, some of you are saying, "Jake, you told me you were working on caring less about sports," which is totally true. I didn't cry or curl up in the fetal position or anything. I just made a rational decision to banish the ornament for this Christmas. I do sincerely hope that the Denver Broncos get their act together and earn my trust again. When they do that, the ornament will return to my tree. Until then, it will remain in a cardboard box in my cold garage.

1 comment:

Nuke said...

I haven't been physically able to curl up into a fetal position for years. That's the real reason I had to quit watching sports. ;)

(Go Steelers...)