Friday, November 5, 2010

More Hat Knowledge


One of my most commented early blogs was a post about the Fedora. You know, it's sorta sad that 2 comments counts as a lot for me. But I digress.

Yesterday, my friend and I went on walkabout at work. Walkabout is when we take a 10 minute break and go walk outside. It was about 45 degrees yesterday, so my friend put on his Ivy League Cap, though he didn't know it was an Ivy League Cap, and neither did I. In fact, I mistakenly referred to his Ivy League Cap as a Tam O'Shanter...how embarrassing for me!

So, without further adieu, some explanation. The Tam O'Shanter is a traditional Scottish style hat worn by men. This hat is named after a character in a poem by Robert Burns, written in 1790. And yes, I found that on Wikipedia. The Tam O'Shanter differs from an Ivy League Cap in that it has no bill and often has a ball or some other decoration on top. The Tam O'Shanter is pictured above.

The Ivy League Cap is the style of cap made famous by the late professional golfer Payne Stewart. Sadly, Wikipedia doesn't appear to have a page dedicated to the Ivy League Cap, and I'm too tired to go down a rabbit hole. Google "Payne Stewart Hat" to see what this style of cap looks like.

Now that I have expanded every one's hat knowledge, including my own, I'm going to bed.

No comments: