Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Movie Review: "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising"


At the recommendation of Nuke, I gave this Indie film a shot. Nuke rated it 3 stars, and generally we're one star apart, so I assumed "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising" would be a 4 star movie for me. I don't know if I wasn't in the right mood or if Nuke's build-up was too much, but it fell short of a 4 star movie, though not a complete flop at 3 stars.

The plot follows a group of Dungeons and Dragons gamers who just can't complete this quest set forth by the Dungeon Master. They finally decide they need to add another 2 players. Sadly, they seem to not have 2 more friends. So one of the gamers invites his ex-girlfriend to join the group and the movie takes off from there.

I'm generally not a fan of low budget Indie films, though this had it's moments. As a former D&D gamer, I can relate to the characters, or I can identify who from my group the character most aligned with. Every D&D group seems to have the crazy guy, the dense guy, the reasonable one and the one who takes it way too seriously, and "The Gamers" does a good job reflecting that. I guess maybe it's my maturing taste in movies that prevented me from fully embracing some of the silliness of this movie. That was a joke...not really sure why I didn't like this more.

This is a good, but not great, flick. I'd put it right up there with "Fellowship of the Dice" for showing the real world of role play gaming.

No comments: