Sunday, November 7, 2010

Movie Review: Batman: Under the Red Hood


Another DC Comics PG-13 rated cartoon. For the last couple of years, DC has been rolling these out, and for the most part I've enjoyed them all. I'm a huge Batman fan, so I was very excited to see a preview for "Batman: Under the Red Hood." I caught this one last night on Netflix instant watch.

In this movie, Gotham is plagued by a new crime lord known as the Black Mask. But a new vigilante is on the scene waging an all out war on the Black Mask. While Batman has always refused to use a gun and won't kill anyone, the Red Hood has no such limitations. Even worse, the Red Hood seems to know everything Batman is going to do before he does it. It's up to Batman to find out who the Red Hood is and stop him before he does something unimaginable.

I really liked this movie. I'd put it at 4 stars. There are a number of reflections to Batman's past in this story, which is always interesting to a Batman fan like me. I thought the story was solid and was satisfied with the ending. I really enjoyed the vocal casting. Bruce Greenwood voices Batman, and does a really good job of it. I'm always going to be partial to Kevin Conroy who did Batman in "Batman the Animated Series" and "Justice League" but Greenwood is the best of the rest who have voiced Batman. I also though the vocal casting for Joker was great. The Joker was voiced by John DiMaggio, who I've never heard of, but did a great job.

I'll admit this movie isn't for everyone. But if you are a fan of DC comics and over 13 years old, I think you'll really like it.

No comments: