Sunday, March 14, 2010

Book Review: "The Last Olympian"


I finished the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series this week. The final book, "The Last Olympian" caps off the series very well. Rick Riordan is now one of my favorite authors. Anyone who can put together a series that rivals Harry Potter is top notch in my book.

In "The Last Olympian", the final battle against the Titans is looming. Percy is nearing his destiny, and he's not sure if he's prepared. Fortunately for Percy he has Annabeth, Grover, Tyson, Nico and Thalia to help him along the way. Does Percy find it within himself to be the leader his friends need, and fulfill the prophecy, or will the Titans destroy Western Civilization?

In a lot of ways, I liked this book more than the final Harry Potter book. What I really liked is the wrap-up. There were 3 chapters of wrap-up, rather than a cryptic final chapter that leaves lots of open questions. One struggle I had with "The Last Olympian" was putting it down. It's about 335 pages of battles, followed by 50 pages of wrap-up. Very difficult to put down when it's just one battle after another.

The biggest issue for me is the same issue I always have when I finish a series like this...the sadness of being done. I love to read series like this, and I hate to finish them. These books brought me so much joy, and it's sad to see it go. I can't wait to read these books again with my kids when they are older.

No comments: