Monday, March 15, 2010

Daylight Savings Time - Pros and Cons

On Sunday morning at 2 a.m., we officially "sprung forward" and began daylight savings time. As someone who had to play piano at the 7 a.m. mass this past Sunday, I was not a fan of daylight savings time this time around. Though, as a golfer, I love it when it lets me golf later in the evenings. And, that's really the idea...give us more time in the summer evenings to enjoy the outdoors.

However, daylight savings time is fraught with problems, and I'm not just talking about 7 a.m. mass. For example, this past weekend, everybody's weekend got shortened by 1 hour. Sure, you get it back in the fall, but it never feels quite the same. Also, since it's darker in the morning once daylight savings time hits, it's much harder to get up and go to work. There's a bit of a safety concern with this as well, because kids are waiting for school buses when it's darker, and groggy people are driving to work in the dark.

On the bright side, it's not dark when I drive home anymore, which is nice. Nothing is more tedious than going to work when it's dark and coming home when it's dark. Also, as stated, when it's golf season, it's really nice to have that extra hour of daylight. I guess it's nice when mowing too, but who wants to talk about yard work at a time like this?

I guess I'm on the fence about Daylight Savings time. It annoys me, but it also has benefits. I've always lived with it, so I don't know any difference. I got it...how about we spring forward and stay there? Permanent daylight savings time. That might just be crazy enough to work!

1 comment:

mediocre coffee said...

That's why one of my buddies calls it Daylight Stealings. He also feels he is robbed of an hour that cannot be gotten back.