Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Disney Vacation, Part 3 - The Food

One of the highlights of the Disney World vacation for me was the food. We had the Quick Service Dining plan, so we got 2 quick meals a day and 2 snacks a day. Don't be fooled by the term "Quick Service" though, most of the food is significantly better than fast food.

Some of the Quick Service highlights were a Philly Cheese Steak and Nachos at our hotel. At Epcot, we ate Moroccan and German food. My wife loved the Moroccan food, and I thought it wasn't too bad. Two meals and 2 snacks per day was really plenty of food...the portions are huge!

We ate 2 really nice meals while we were there. On our anniversary, we went to Kouzzina, by Cat Cora. Cat Cora is one of Food Network's Iron Chefs, which is one of my favorite shows. Cora isn't my favorite Iron Chef, but I was excited to eat at her restaurant nonetheless. We did a 3 course meal, starting with Calamari, which was really good. The Calamari came with a some lightly fried lemon slices, which were fantastic. For the main course, I ate the Wood Grilled Flank Steak, which was the best thing I've ever eaten. I've never had a steak that was so perfectly cooked and so favourable. My wife had the Fisherman's Stew, which was also very good. For desert, I had the Loukamades (Greek Donuts), which were really good.

The other really nice meal was at Coral Reef in Epcot. I was really looking forward to Seafood, and I wasn't disappointed. For our appetizer, we had the sauteed shrimp. I can only describe the flavor of this appetizer as "earthy", which I've heard used on Food Network a number of times. I now know what an earthy flavor is. For the entree, I had the Lobster Ravioli, which was really good. For desert, my wife tried the Almond Gelato, and she said it was the best desert ever.

I really enjoyed the Disney Dining experience. I'm sure there are many other great places to eat at Disney World, and hopefully we'll get to make a return trip to try some other places (or go back to Kouzzina for more steak).

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

Jake, if you go back, DEFINITELY hit the boulangerie patiserie (SP?) in Epcot France, was by far my favorite in park food. Even Ryan was impressed with how delicious it was! Glad i read all 500 books before we went to Disney so I knew it was a gem!! I'd have to say, i think I'd really love Epcot minus kids... I think it would be awesome to snack through the countries.