Saturday, January 9, 2010

Movie Review: Sherlock Holmes


My wife and I saw "Sherlock Holmes" at the AMC movie theater in Downtown Disney. Before we were given the Disney Trip as our anniversary present, we had planned to see this movie on our anniversary.

"Sherlock Holmes" is a new take on a classic story. Robert Downey Jr. plays the title character, and Jude Law portrays his sidekick, Dr. Watson. When I say it's a new take, it's really an entirely new direction. Robert Downey Jr's portrayal of Holmes is about as far as you can get from the buttoned up, tea drinking versions of Holmes I've seen in the past. Instead, Downey's character possesses an amazing intellect, but he struggles with multiple personal weaknesses. Dr. Watson was a nice change too. In contrast to being portrayed as a bumbler (which I've seen before), Watson is the steady one in this partnership.

The story was really good as well. This is early in Holmes career, so the villain is not Dr. Moriarty. Instead, it's a power hungry Lord bent on remaking the world in his image. It's up to Holmes to figure it all out and stop him before Great Britain falls to this madman.

I really liked this movie. I especially liked the new take on Sherlock Holmes. Holmes is obviously a super-genius, and when has a super-genius ever had it all together? I liked that he is troubled, and somewhat codependent on Watson. I thought Downey and Law made a good duo, and hope to see them back in future films.

Overall, this is a 4 to 4.5 star movie, and a must see.

No comments: