Saturday, November 21, 2009

VOTA


What is VOTA? VOTA is the Christian Rock Band my wife and I went to see last night. It was awesome! But before I get to VOTA, let me talk about the opening act.

The opening act was happygolovely, a local Christian band. They were really just a group of kids, but they were outstanding. They did a terrific job getting the crowd ready for VOTA. They played 6 songs...you can hear some of their music at their myspace page, which I linked to above. I hope they find success in the Christian rock scene. They brought great energy, had a nice message in their music, and really seemed to enjoy what they were doing.

Next up was VOTA. You can here some of their music at their website, http://www.votaband.com/. Even if you aren't a big Christian rock fan, you should check them out. VOTA was doing this free concert because they had to cancel their local tour date with Super Chick and Barlow Girl earlier this summer due to bus problems. However, they really wanted to play Iowa, so luckily a local church donated it's space, and VOTA was able to put on a free concert.

Had I known how cool Christian music is, I would have started listening long ago. However, growing up, all I ever heard was, relatively lame, Christian music. But, recently I've discovered a local station that plays a lot of Alternative Christian rock. That's how I would describe VOTA's music. It's Alternative Christian rock, and I can honestly say that I like every song they played last night. To top if off, they had a good Christian message. Great music with a message of God's love...how can you beat that? They were awesome and I'm so thrilled that we went, and I'm glad we bought their CD so we can listen more often, and support the band.

My favorites from the concert were "Free to Fail", "Hard to Believe" and "I'll Go." Both "Hard to Believe" and "I'll Go" have been released.

2 comments:

Mr. Mosey said...

VOTA is good stuff, I'm sad we had to miss the show. If you'd like to sample some other Christian alternative/rock/punk/jazz/whatever tunes, you should check out my shared music directory at work (\\crp15989\music$) and see what else you might like. I assume the local radio station you were referring to is 89.1, which does a pretty good job of keeping things interesting, but even they have a fairly limited range. You can even drop me a line over IM (or stop by) and I'd be happy to offer suggestions based on your preferences. Glad you enjoyed the show and that you're interested in hearing more good music!

Jake said...

Yes it was 89.1.

I'll stop by and see what you recommend. Always looking for new stuff. Thanks!