Saturday, November 14, 2009

Movie Review: G.I. Joe, The Rise of Cobra


Action fans, here is a film for you. "G.I. Joe, The Rise of Cobra" tries a little bit to have a plot, but mostly it's just cool special effects and lots of action. This is probably the reason why I liked this movie...it's made specifically for action film junkies.

"G.I. Joe" starts our with the unveiling of a new weapon...a nano-mite missile, that when detonated, triggers nano-mites to start eating away at the metal. We then cut to Duke (Channing Tatum) and Ripcord (Marlon Wayans) transporting the new weapon from one location to another. These special forces soldiers are caught completely unprepared when a mysterious team with supremely advance technology attacks their convoy. Luckily, the G.I. Joe team arrives just in time to save the day.

Shortly after this initial encounter, Duke and Ripcord join the G.I. Joes and they are off in a global pursuit of the Baroness, Storm Shadow and Zartan. They have to save the world and find out who is pulling the strings of these 3 villainous fiends. Along the way, Duke and Snake Eyes have to deal with their past histories with The Baroness and Storm Shadow, respectively. That's the lone attempt to make the plot a little more interesting.

The lack of really any good dialogue dropped "G.I. Joe" from a 5 star to a 4 star movie for me. Much like this summer's "Transformers" movie, though, plot and dialogue was secondary. I will watch this movie again, and I will definitely see the sequel...yes, there will likely be a sequel, given the way this one ends.

No comments: