Tuesday, July 21, 2009

TV Series Review: Bones, Season 1


For the 2nd summer in a row, my wife and I have decided to watch a TV Series through Netflix together. We are both busy people and don't get to watch as much TV as we'd like (probably good), although she'd probably argue that I still watch too much.

This summer, we are watching "Bones" starring Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz. I'm a big fan of David Boreanaz, going back to his days as Angel, the vampire with a soul on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and later in his spinoff series "Angel."

Season 1 of "Bones" introduces us to Dr. Temprance Brennan (Deschanel), a forensic anthropologist at the Jeffersonian Institute (sort of like the Smithsonian). Dr. Brennan (a.k.a. Bones) assists the FBI, and specifically Agent Seeley Booth (Boreanaz) in solving crimes where only bones, or bone fragments remain. Dr. Brennan also writes novels based on her work. The character of Dr. Brennan is loosely based on the work of author Kathy Reichs.

The rest of the cast compliments Deschanel and Boreanaz very well. Most of the remainder of the crew are scientists also working at the Jeffersonian, and they help Dr. Brennan and Booth solve the crimes. Along the way, there is some dramatic interplay between cast members, but also a lot of playful interaction as well. One of the best things about this show is the back and forth between Agent Booth and Bones. They are polar opposites who become fiercely devoted to each other as the season goes on. They develop the kind of partnership you often see in "buddy cop" shows.

I rated season 1 of "Bones" 4 stars. It's probably 4.4 stars...it's very good. There were a few weak episodes, but far more strong episodes. The characters are great, especially Bones and Booth. As the season rolls on and you learn more and more about each character, you really begin to like and root for them. I look forward to watching season 2 next. I think we'll probably only get through 1 more season before school starts.

1 comment:

Erin said...

(I still have not watched 'Valkyrie'... my bad.)

Thanks for this post on 'Bones'.

This TV series is based (VERY LOOSELY) off the novels by Kathy Reichs. Tempe Brennan is the main character w/ a side kick much like David's character throughout the book series.

When this TV series started, I was STOKED. The books are absolutely AMAZING, so I couldn't imagine the TV show to be any less so. However, I was not at all enchanted by Emily or David in the first three episodes, and I left it alone after that.

However, I have caught some episodes since that first season, and think... well, one, they've come a long way, and two, much like the Bourne movie and book series, regardless of the names of the characters and whatnot, they are two completely different entities and should be treated as such. Much more enjoyable that way.

So, I think that one of these days I will give 'Bones' another shot.

Oh, how I wish I could talk Adam into Netflix...

erin