Friday, May 15, 2009

Movie Review: Star Trek


I literally just got home from the theater. "Star Trek" is THE must see movie of the summer. I can't imagine how any movie that comes out the rest of this summer can be this good. If there is another that is as good as "Star Trek" then this will be the greatest summer for movies ever. This is one of the easiest 5 star ratings I've ever given.

"Star Trek" is a complete reboot of the franchise. So, for Trekkie's out there, things may happen that they don't like. However, as someone who is not a Trekkie, I loved it. In fact, even though this may be sacrilege to some, I believe this is the best Star Trek film.

The reboot is really well done. Much better than the recent reboot of the Bond franchise, and possibly better than the Batman reboot. Get that Nuke, I said possibly. I'm not saying I liked this movie better than "Batman Begins" but I am saying that the reboot may have been better. Because this is sci fi, J.J. Abrams and crew had more options available to them to make the reboot believable, and they totally pulled it off.

The cast is outstanding. I thought I would miss William Shatner, but Chris Pine does an excellent job stepping into the big shoes of James T. Kirk. My other concern was Zachary Quinto as Spock, because he is also Sylar in "Heroes". However, I very quickly adapted, and it didn't both me for more than 2 minutes. The rest of the cast was good. Of the rest, Simon Pegg was my favorite in the role of Scotty. Also, Leonard Nimoy does a good job reprising his role as an older Spock.

The final highlight of the movie for me was watching it in Iowa. One of the early scenes of the movie shows a young Kirk driving in a stolen vehicle. In the corner of the screen, it says IOWA in big letters. The entire theater erupted in applause at that moment. That was great fun.

Two thumbs way up! Can't wait to see this again and I will buy it when the DVD comes out. I haven't been this excited about a movie in a long time.

1 comment:

Nuke said...

My sentiments exactly, and even from a Trekkie.