Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Buffalo Wings


Here's a secret about me. I love Buffalo Wings! Well, I should say, I love the Buffalo Sauce used in Buffalo Wings. I actually much prefer Boneless Buffalo Wings or Buffalo Chicken Nuggets to traditional bone-in wings...much less messy. I'm such a big fan of Buffalo flavored chicken, that when asked, I will state Buffalo Wings as my favorite food. Furthermore, I always have a bottle of Cookies Wings 'n Things Sauce in the house. It might classify as an addiction...

Anyway, how did this all start? After my first engineering co-op term, my boss took me and the entire team to a Sports Bar after work. He ordered a plate of wings, and offered me one. I initially refused, but then thought "crap, I may need a job from this guy some day!", so I ate one, and my whole world was changed! When I got back to college, I quickly discovered the best place in town for wings, and ate them whenever I could. And to this day, I try to eat some sort of chicken product coated in buffalo wing sauce at least once per week.

So, where are the best places to get wings? The 2 best for me have been Spondivot's, which is a dive by the Atlanta Airport and the Ram Pub in Brookings, SD (note that I've never been to Buffalo, NY, birthplace of the Buffalo Wing). Of the national chains, I would have to rate the top 3 as :

1) Chili's - best wings for national chains, hands down.
2) Buffalo Wild Wings - many varieties and a good atmosphere. I haven't found one sauce that matches Chili's though.
3) TGIFriday's - the portion is small, but the flavor is good.

You can also get good wing sauce to go with your chicken nuggets at Arby's and Burger King. And, for wings at home, without making it yourself, you can't beat Cookies Wings 'n Things Sauce.

No comments: