Saturday, March 7, 2009

Movie Review: War of the Worlds


"War of the Worlds" is a movie that I've put off watching for a long time. I'm not really a big Tom Cruise fan, and I hadn't heard very many good tings about this movie. However, my Netflix Queue needed to be reorganized, and this one ended up near the top.

"War of the Worlds" has a lot of really good aspects to it. Obviously, it's based on a classic story, so that makes it intriguing. I thought it was a lot like "Signs", which was the M. Knight Shyamalan film with Mel Brooks made back in 2002. Except, "War of the Worlds" was better in a lot of ways. The suspense was more palpable, and the characters were actually very good.

However, "War of the Worlds" only merits 3 stars. I found it a little disjointed. This is one case where a movie should have been longer to fill in some of the holes. I also felt that it ended too happily...which is a rarity for me. I typically like happy endings, but given everything that happened in the movie, I felt it should have had a slightly darker ending. Though, I've never read the book, so maybe Spielberg and company were very true to the book.

"War of the Worlds" is good for 2 hours of entertainment. It's not great, but it's not bad either.

No comments: